- How long have you been homebrewing/winemaking? Since July 2009
- How did you first get started in Homebrewing? I remember having a Bock beer during Easter 2009 celebrations with my in-laws in Chicago. Not long after, while visiting my brother in KCMO, he said he brewed a beer and served it to me. I stopped in at The Brew Hut shortly after returning to pick up supplies and an Oktoberfest extract Kit.
Since then brewing beer or a beer-related activity has been a thought in my mind most every day.
- What are your favorite styles to make? I enjoy brewing many English styles and high-gravity Ales – incl. ESB/Amber, Porters / Baltic Porters, British Strong, Wee Heavy, Barleywines, Imperial Stouts, American Strong, and many Belgian styles.
- Are you a member of any brew clubs or organizations? I’ve been involved in Aurora City Brew Club (ACBC) since its inception in 2014. I currently am serving in my second year as the Vice President of our local club. Additionally, I’ve been a member of the American Homebrewer Association (AHA) for several years.
- Have you won any medals or awards? I have been fortunate enough to win a few to several awards through the years, most recently I won a 1st place award at The Brew Hut’s Annual Homebrew Competition this past October 2022 in the Experimental Beer Category (34C) for a Salted Caramel Porter.
- Describe your brewing system or equipment. I have two brewing systems. My original system is a Pot and Cooler made up of an eight-gallon brew kettle and two 10-gallon coolers for a hot liquor tank and then a mash tun. Additionally, I’m co-owner with John Horton of an Anvil Foundry 10.5g all-in-one brewing system.
- What piece of equipment or brewing process has made the most difference in your beer and/or wine? Hands down, for my setup, the answer is fermentation control. I’ve been using a 5 cf freezer (sometimes I wish it were 7 cf so I could fit two carboys in it) with an Inkbird ITC-308 thermostat controller. The second piece of equipment is good, trusted brewing software. I use BrewSmith.
- What other fermented beverages have you made? I’ve enjoyed my summertime Kombucha, Riesling, and Dessert Port wines, several annual meads, and a return to making hard Cider, all with good and satisfying success.
- List of any other hobbies or interests. I do enjoy helping out as a Steward in many of the local/regional homebrew competitions as well as national beer competitions (ie National Homebrew Competition and World Beer Cup).
- Is there anything else that you would like to share about yourself? While I’m drinking a homebrewed ale, I enjoy preparing and cooking BBQ’d meats. I’ve served up a mean plate of Chicken, Baby Back Ribs, Sliced and Pulled Pork, and Brisket during local BBQ competitions. I’ve been fortunate enough to bring home a few trophies to show for my efforts.